Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Sleeping Chinese and Poor Translations

I have noticed two things during my 2 weeks of time in Shanghai:
  1. Chinese people can often be found sleeping in odd locations/positions, and
  2. Many businesses do not take the time to spell check their translations from Mandarin to English when creating signs.
Proof of these two realizations can be seen in the following images...

























(3 images above provided by Bernd Hagemann)














(Image above taken at the Captain Golf Club on 6/1/2010)
After noticing the tired people on the streets of Shanghai, I did a bit of research and there's actually a guy who goes around the country and takes pictures of Chinese people sleeping in odd locations and documents it on his website. I hope to do the same thing, however my pictures will come from the streets of Shanghai instead of the entire country. I also hope to document as many poorly translated English signs as I can. I find these two things quite hilarious, and I hope you will as well!
--
PMM

No comments:

Post a Comment